Why Does IB Get Attacked?

Read a comment posted at Ms. Mercer’s blog at Response to a Comment.

It is not unusual for IB, and TOK in particular, to get attacked.  Read this New York Times article about the opponents of the IB program and explore their website.

Why do they think people are attacking TOK and IB, how does it make you feel, and do you think any of those arguments have any validity?  If you agree with any of them, please say why you do — and it is absolutely fine to say you agree.  If you believe any of the arguments are fallacies, please explain why.

49 thoughts on “Why Does IB Get Attacked?

1. i think they are attacking it because they dont know anything about IB so the’yr assuming stuff and are forming opionions based off of others opinions. and i personally dont agree. i dont believe they really had a good aeguement except for the fact that there are many students and only few get the diploma which is in a way not fair for those who have tried tremendiously hard but yet fail on one thing and therefore do not get the diploma.

2. People are attacking I.B because it may seem a threat to other honor programs such as A.P and Honors course. Some part of there arguements may be true which is AP being mre popular but both of these Honor courses have there benefits and loss. I think another reason why IB is getting attack because people might see as no use because colleges might not accept students or would perfer AP over I.B.

3. it is a false cause because they didnt support what they have to say about the ib program. if they really feel that way about the ib program then they should make their kid take. some people like it and some dont. so the one that dont like it then they cant take it away. what if the one that like it need it and want the diploma they cant take away some one rights.

4. Im neutral with the arguments. I think these people like some body I know said that they are just born stupid that is why they hate the IB program. like what they say if they switch the AP program to the IB program only 18 of them will graduate with a IB diploma. These people just dont like a change they also probably didnt vote for obama also. these are very old fashion people and its time for them to grow up. That is all. =)

5. Oh yeah they are Hasty Generalisation because they dont know how the Ib students feel like towards the IB program not only that they dont know how the classes work. The IB program really open up your minds and you also learn alot from the IB program.

6. These people are attacking IB because they don’t know how the class is really ran. They don’t know what the students think of it and taking something that I learned from IB Theory of Knowledge, their arguments are hasty generalization, a fallacy. These arguments are invalid because they have not taken IB classes.

7. People attack tok and the IB program because they think that the UN wants to take over and this program is basically poisoning our minds. IB isn’t a disease, this program teaches us how to respond and think out of the box, rather than just learning general education. Not only does tok force us to question everything (not saying it’s a bad thing) but it keeps us as students open minded and informed about what’s going on in the world. A fallacy that is being used is ad hominem fallacy because the IB program is being attacked, so are the teachers, and tok itself. I don’t agree with the comments that other people had written about IB. Yeah, it’s a rigorous program, but it helps get ready for college, it teaches us skills, and we learn new things like I had listed above.

8. I think that people attack the I.B program because much of the British supporting the program makes it seem suspicious and parents dont want their kids become tainted by the British ideas like hookers are good and sex outside of marriage is the only thing worthwhile in life. I agree with those attackers because i can live without TOK in fact it is probably bringing me down. The attackers of IB used ad hominem because they attacked the teachers instead of the program itself. They also used hasty generalizing because they didnt have complete evidence IB is bad. They are angry about IB beacuse we are becoming less patriotic by focusing on other countries. I agree because this IB program is very liberal and left wing.The liberals runnig our country are the cause of our horrible problem. Liberals arent very patriotic so they are trying to recruit more people to their side and eventually make this country into a pathetic scaredy cat country.

9. I think that there are many reasons why people may attack IB and TOK, but I don’t know why they would. The only reason I can think of is that they do not approve of IB or TOK ideas and programs and they just dislike the idea about it.

It makes me feel that most people does not respect the thought of learning about TOK. Also I think that IB is a great program that helps students get a higher education. I feel that many people just don’t like IB. I find that really disrespectful because they don’t appreciate students learning methods and methods of higher education. It seems as if they don’t support the students and their future. Also many people may attack IB because it is international and they learn about it all over the world, increasing their knowledge. Maybe some people dislike the idea about how people learns about it all over the world.

I do not agree with what the “people’s website” say about TOK. They say many things to cover up about the truth of TOK. I think that there are fallacies like hasty generalization. I think that because most people just write what they think and they write from their perspective and opinion about how TOK is run. Also it is false dilemma. Many of the people says that you agree with me or not. They try to make their voice heard and cover the truth about TOK. They use any information to cover it up and make people believe them.

10. People are attacking I.B. because it may be seen as a threat to other honors programs. For instance, A.P. is more recognized and it seems as if I.B. is trying to take the place of A.P. I.B. could aslo be getting attacked because some colleges do not recognize I.B. and see it as a waste of time.

11. People are attacking IB because they are either jeolous, money issues, or they think its too much. I dont feel anything because it is not my problem. I sure is a student of a IB school but I have no definite right or control. I dont agree with anything because I do not know much about programs such as AP and IB. My only knowledge is that it helps my school carreer and a student. I am not sure if any of the arguements are fallacies because again, I dont know much about them.

12. Educationally i feel that people are attacking IB because they aren’t able to understand the program. Also, the curriulum is harder to teach because I’ve seen teachers work on students papers and homework. I feel that some people are haters in general wish they can be us and I say to them don’t hate me cause you aint me 😉 I feel that there attacks are blunt and disrespectful to us personally,not vaild points were made.

13. I think they are attacking I.B becasue it seems to be a threat to other AP classes. It gives a broader perspective on how everything is in the world. Not all colleges take in the I.B course but those who do give a better standing like you’ll be able to be in a sophmore class when your a freshmen. Also that it is expensive to hve in schools and not that many people may know what it has to offer in the long run. They have some fallacies like Ad hominem, Apeal to Authority, and Hasty Generalizations. I think that these people just dont want it because it means less money to another program and that it tests kids to go an extra mile. I agree with the person who thinks the I.B orgram is hard but it helps you out to impress colloege admissions.

14. I think people are attacking IB because it is kind of copying AP but even though it is kind of the same it doesn’t mean that it is bad. It is a very different program that can also help students just like AP. I feel that if they want to take out IB then they should take out AP also becasue it does the same thing by helping students get into a better college, even though AP has been used longer. I don’t think that any of these have any validity because they should explain why they want it out because this IB program is not destroying everyone its helping peole only. I don’t really understand why they are attacking TOK because TOK is just a class.I know it is part of IB but still they should not be attacking because its just an elective class to take to know more and it is basically the same as other classes.
    One fallacy that i think is stated in these arguments is “loaded language” because they are trying to make others go against the IB program by saying this and that making IB seem bad and trying to make them agree to the attack f IB.

15. Why do they think people are attacking TOK and IB, how does it make you feel, and do you think any of those arguments have any validity? If you agree with any of them, please say why you do — and it is absolutely fine to say you agree. If you believe any of the arguments are fallacies, please explain why.

People are attacking IB and TOK because they have negative emotions towards it. It’s hard to judge from the comments, but maybe it’s because they don’t like how the processes of the program. I don’t like the fact that they are judging it and comparing it to other things, like Hitler’s policies. I think they should do the program and work with it before they judge it.
    From my point of view, I agree. I mean teachers expect us, as students in the IB program, to get A’s and thing in a more broader way. Teachers expect us to do more; to do more than other kids who are not in IB. I don’t know what we are going to get out of this IB diploma. One fallacy is false dilemma, because of the comment on Ms. Mercer’s blog.

“It is a horrible program, IB, and Ferlazzo is a left wing nut.
    This is merely a way to get kids used to the idea that Hitler’s policies (similar to Obamas) are good and conservatism is bad or what your parents values are are bad.
    This course is part of the UN brainwashing of our kids using the IB program and I refused to teach world government when it was asked of me because it’s treason.”

It’s like saying, “It’s either you’re with me or against me.”

16. For the majority, Humans get hurt and when they get hurt they tend to reciprocate the feeling of getting hurt but hurting others. Everyone has there own reason to hurt others and to bring down others but for the most part theres something thats holding them down to this stubborn and hateful personaily of theirs. Then again i dont believe in hate, i believe that hate is an idea that no one can reach. so lets just say that they hold on to their stronly dislikable personality. Why do they strongly dislike IB? Well, i dont know a ery specific answer to that. i know that as humans we are open to everything around us and if we arent open its not because we cant but that something is keeping us from being open to new ideas. But, there is always an exception. There can be people that try to show hate, and i say try because hating can never be reached in my point of view. Sometimes people are just stubborn but think about this; Why are they hating on IB? What are their reasons? Did it invole someone else input and opinion? Just what made them dislike IB.

17. I think people that are attaking IB are just not well informed about the program. Just because they think the UN is bad they believe that IB is wong also. IB prepares you well for collage but yet, but yet people who attack the program can’t see that and onlt see it as a brainwashing. People who think IB is bad are using Hasty Generalization and False Delema as I explained above

18. I think thet are attacking I.B. and TOK because they have little information and experience about it. I feel that they think that I.B. and TOK students will soon take control of the world since I.B. and TOK is international. Another reason why i feel that they feel like attacking I.B. is because it seem like a threat to AP and all the other honors programs. People think I.B. is bad is beacause of hast generalization and false dilema.

19. I have no problem with the IB program. It is a little difficult at times and I will get more difficult but that is an important because not everything in life is easy to do. IB is good training for college and I have heard from pass IB students. I think people attack IB because they don’t have a full understanding of what IB actually is, they just hear negative things from other people and jump to attack. People need to do their own personal research about the IB program before posting rude comments that attack the people and teachers instead of the program. They are using the fallacy call ad hominen attacking the person instead of the problem. I didn’t know IB was just a big problem to others, but personal I have no problem with it.

20. i think the i.b. program is a waste of time it fluffs up what the college requirements are. the courses are not challenging in my personal opinion being an i.b. student. they require alot of work but i dont think the colleges see you as standing out being in the program but it does give you a choice not to take some classes if you get the diploma. if you think about it how is it preparing us for college? we’re in highschool of all things we should be trieng to make it past highschool with flying colors and living life not be geeks because although they are prepairing us for college there are other areas where we are destined to fail.

ad hominem
    they give there opinion but not exept others

hasty generalization
    they are talking about i.b. in general they dont understand the different parts

appeal to authority & appeal to common practice
    they are usually just agreeing to what other people say

21. I think that people attack the I.B program because they seem to be jealous of the fact that stdents learn more then the world they live in. Its not only focused on the United States but on other places too. It gives us a well-rounded view of the world we live in. I disagree with those attackers because why wouldl you attack a progam in the making. Maybe they didn’t take it as kids so why try to attack our generation. The attackers of IB used ad hominem because they attacked the teachers instead of the program itself. They also used hasty generalizing because they didnt have complete evidence IB is bad. They are angry about IB beacuse we are becoming less patriotic by focusing on other countries.

22. People attack I.B. because it’s something different from the typical school education such as A.P. which is known through U.S. Also, because I.B. seems to cost a lot of money and when it comes to spending a lot of money people do not like it. I think people should be allowed to attack I.B. but there is a limitation, it should not seem like I.B. is evil and bad. Like the attack on Ms. Mercer’s blog was just unnecessary. For me, I do think I.B. is useless at some point even though I’m taking it. But when I look at the overall process of I.B. there is a understanding of what I am actually getting out of it. There is always going to be dispute between people about I.B. We just have to see what is rightful or which is wrong to consider its validity. People should respect I.B. more and learn what it really is about before making a judgment.

23. This is a classic case of playing sides. New ways of thinking, especially more broader ways of thinking, are usually shot down by those afraid of thinking more critically. Then they start with the name calling, and assume its all based on some ‘liberal’ agenda bent on destroying America. I’m not liberal, and I’m not conservative, but from where I stand as an independent all I can do is shake my head in shame. IB is a good thing, and makes us see that there’s a world beyond what we just see everyday. Not everything is just sugar and rainbows. Its time to recognize and stop questioning one another patriotism.

…and that’s why in my opinion, they are trying to shoot don IB. They are entitled to their opinion and way of thinking and I respect it. I just wish they would take the time to come to do the same.

24. i ThInK they aRE AtTacKing I.B prOGRaM BecAUsE They feEl ThaT IB pRogram iS WaY BetTeR thEN the OtHeR HonOr pRogRAms. i TrueLy DIsAgRee WiTh HIm/Her thaT IB Its a horrible program. IB ProGram is a way better ProGraM theN AP. One of tHE ReasoN THat I Think THiS iS BEcaUSe It is an international pRoGam,Gives collage credit, and muCH mORe BenEfiTs you CouLd GEt oOUt Of It

25. People are attacking the IB Program because they don’t have enough information about it. Fallacies that were used were Ad hominem because someone insulted Mr. Ferlazzo without knowing his intentions of teaching TOK. Appeal to authority was also used because people choose to believe the teachers and parents that attacked IB.The AP program is also highly viewed and since the IB Program did not begin in the United States people look at it as the UN brainwashing us.I feel bad that people don’t get to know more about the IB Program because it allows students to have more of a broad view of the world.I do agree that it’s expensive and the diploma is hard to get but it challenges students to become well-rounded.

26. I think they are attacking TOK and IB because of the many high level thinkers. I, in partially, don’t feel anything about the attackings, but in such ways, I do feel offended because I am part of IB but then again, it is their opinions of what they think and feel. I don’t know if they have the information and facts right to have the right to attack IB. AP is similar to IB but IB is the only one being attack, just because of IB having TOK (my information may be wrong). To me, the arguments have validly because of their opinions. Plus TOK and IB didn’t do anything to them, what’s the point of attacking?
    Fallacies: Hasty generalisation and Ad hominem
    I think is it hasty generalisation and Ad hominem because just because it is seem that some IB people think like Hitler, not all don’t think like they do. People are attacking people like us though they don’t know us. TOK and IB didn’t do anything to them, what’s the point of attacking?

27. people are attacking TOK because they jealous. WE have gained more knowledge and are not stupid enough to fall for dumb tricks. I feel disrespected, angry towards them women and men who claim that I.B is bad for us kids.IT gives us a better understanding of this place, We can question, and that is what scares the adults the most. some fallacies that they used were Ad hominem because they claim that I.b is bad, but why should we believe them?

28. People are attacking TOK and IB because they think that United Kingdom is trying to brainwash kids and take over the world by doing that. I don’t agree with them because these people are just trying to keep these theories of knowledge from us (IB Students). However, I think it is useful to know these types of information we learn from our TOK class.

29. I believe people are attacking the IB program because it is too challenging for the students. Since the students can’t switch out of the IB program, they decide to describe their hatred towards the IB program and the teachers by displaying disgusting comments on the internet.

30. We do not agree with the people who are attacking IB and TOK. We think that they are attacking it because they feel that the program makes other kids look less qualified than the other kids we are competing with. No they are making false connections with the UN because they are saying that the UN is brain washing us.
    “Juan typed this and Cameron and Juan thought it”

31. Alright, here’s the deal! When anyone heard about IB they usually have no freaking clue. Once figured out, they compare it with AP. Now, there is a difference between IB/TOK & AP. IB is more creative hard work unlike AP that is just well…hard work? So TOK & IB are being attacked due to the lack of knowledge of the orgranizations and subject.

32. I think that people are attacking IB because they think that its too much for the students. Or they think that its just a waste of time, because although there is many students taking IB courses only a few will get the IB diploma. And I think that some people are attacking the IB program because it makes the students look better than the non-IB students. I feel that people are jealous. I also feel that IB is harsh sometimes, but its the best. In other words, for a student’s good, IB is better. I don’t agree that IB is brainwashing, it gives us more knowledge and gets us to the top.

33. They are attacking IB because the people who aren’t taking it won’t have a strong chance of getting into a college and we have a higher chance. They think we make other people look bad when we are not trying to. The UN is not brainwashing me and I don’t agree with them

34. We think people are attacking IB because the IB Program is too rigorous, and so those who can not take it turn around and attack the program itself. It can also be that because it’s such a rigorous program, those who do not do well and are trying their best think that it’s pointless.

Taking on the IB course, we feel a little bothered and annoyed that people who have not yet tried the program say what they say about it. Those who have tried the program and did not do well should simply accept the fact that IB was not for them.

We do agree that IB is hard and may be one of the reason to why it’s seen as an impossibly hard course that shouldn’t be taken.

We think that Appeal to Authority is one of the main fallacies used. Many people may say that it is just a stressful class and not worth your time, and because they say so, others say the same.

35. I think people are attacking IB and TOK because it gives the students an advantage over kids taking AP classes.I feel that it is no point of what that they are attacking us IB kids.I don’t agree with any of the sites that they have to say.

36. People are attacking IB because they know it’s a waste of time. Too much time and effort gets put into this school program that the students lose track of time and lose the golden years..you only go to high school once and i think it should be an enjoyable experience, not a memory of Vigorous work for a diploma that most of those hard working students don’t get. My opinion. Too Much Work. but in the end it is a good idea despite the fact that Most collges that matter,Excludin UC Davis, which is the college i think IB was designed specifically for, look at AP class scores even if IB classes were taken -.-

37. I think that people are attacking the IB program and TOK based off of opinions and not supported evidence. I am not certain why they say what they say, but it seems that they don’t have an open enough mind to consider the good things about the program.

38. People are attacking TOK and I.B. because they don’t truly understand what I.B. and TOK really teaches the students. These arguments are not valid at all, but just merely one’s opinion. I feel offended by these remarks, because TOK and I.B. are courses that challenge the students mind and TOK allows us students to be more open minded. I disagree with everything that these people said, because they are just opinions not facts. These arguments are fallacies, and the fallacy is the appeal to authority, because I.B. was introduced late to schools and AP classes were there first no one trust I.B. So since mostly everyone is AP classes instead of I.B. people hating I.B.

39. According to me, I believe people attack the IB program and Tok because they think it is hard work for students. To most students, they don’t know what IB or Tok is until they reach highschool or even in sophomore year. IB becomes hard for some people who have things going on in their lives. But in some cases, people can be jealous that “some” people are taking IB courses in highschools. To me, I think IB are for smart kids. Well, that may be a lie but I think if a person takes IB, he/she needs to commit to it. I agree with these arguments because I am an IB student, which means I am a victim. I never knew what Tok or IB was, but now I do.

40. We do not care, but then again we care, as their arguements are valid as so are ours. The appeal to authority is a common attack on IB due to majors and proffesors that do not like IB. They are just based on opoinions, so they would not matter.

41. I think people hate IB because people think the people who take Ib make other people look bad. Also because people have no background information about IB.

42. Whats the point of taking I.b. classes if colleges don’t look at all the effort you put in, all they look at is wether you have a diploma or not and only about 3 canidates get the diploma every year. So i’m curious to know if its worth it, but I guess I’ll find out when I find out if I’ve been accepted into good colleges.

43. I think why people are attacking TOK & IB because it is too rigorous, & the fact that 370 IB students or more who dedicate their education to the IB programs gets shut down. At least 5 percent of those 370 students graduate with a IB diploma. That is too little.
    I feel that IB is really good, but it’s just that only very few students who base their education on IB, graduate. I think they should make it more simpler, more easy going, but not too easy, just enough to get at least 10 out of the 370 students to graduate with a Diploma.

44. This problem reminds me of a saying that describes how people try to against/destroy something they cannot get, so no one else could get it either.
    This made my blood boil.
    Reading Ms.Mercer’s comments,I feel like she has a terrific feud with Mr.Ferlazzo or IB program, too much personal prejudice made her REASONING INVALID.
    IB program is a wonderful opportunity for those who dream BIG, WINNERS
    <3 IB